The Flagstaff Shambhala Meditation Group is a division of Shambhala International. The international community of Shambhala Buddhism was founded by Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche and is now led by the Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche. Our lineage of teachers is rooted in the Kägyü and Nyingma schools of Tibetan Buddhism.
Our foundation practice is Shamatha–Vipassana (Mindfulness–Awareness) meditation. We offer free initial and ongoing meditation instruction. In general, our meetings consist of about a half-hour period of meditation, followed by tea and snacks and a talk, video, or discussion. We also offer a variety of contemplative meditation techniques and other practices. We read the Heart Sutra the last Wednesday of each month and the Sadhana of Mahamudra on Wednesday evenings when they coincide with the full moon. The series of Shambhala Training Levels are available at the Phoenix Shambhala Center and the Tucson Shambhala Center, as well as other Centers around the world.
We are a small, vibrant group of people who are concerned with developing our meditation practices and studying Shambhala and Buddhist teachings. We strive to help ourselves and others discover our inherent sanity, gentleness, and humor, and to develop confidence, equanimity, and compassion.
Please NOTE, we've moved to a New Time & Place
- Meetings: every Sunday (unless communicated otherwise — we occasionally cancel for holidays and snow)
- Time: 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm — Sitting meditation starts at 5:30; Meditation Instruction is available between 5:00 and 5:15 pm.
- Location: the old Flagstaff Middle School, 755 N. Bonito St., Flagstaff, AZ (park in the lot across the street from Marshall Elementary School)
- Bus access: No Route 5 service on weekends; Route 2 stops north of downtown, but requires an 8-10 block (about 1/2 mile) walk through the Flagstaff H. S. campus
- Walk: About a 3/4 mile walk along the Urban Trail from downtown.
- New Class Series: starting November 3 — "Developing True Compassion"
- "Carrying Happiness and Suffering onto the Path" with Khentrul Lodrö Thayé Rinpoche
- Stay Tuned for our next "Dinner (Potluck) and a Movie"!!
on iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, PC. It's free.